Thursday, March 4, 2010

Things I never thought I would hear myself say...#1 and #2

Through my first year of teaching I have found myself saying things I would have never imagined having to say in my whole life.... Here is the start of what could become a long list.

1. "C, you are NOT allowed to hurt S and make him bleed so you can come talk to me."

Being a first grade teacher there is one thing I felt I could never teach my students to do: actually sit in their seat and work without running up to me every other second. Recently, my roommate inspired me to tell my students that when I am working with a small group there are only 3 reasons they can come up to me. A) If they are bleeding. B) If they are throwing up. C) If someone is seriously hurting them.

Today I was with a small writing group and had the rest of my students in differentiated reading groups. While I was working with my group I looked around the room this is what I heard from the group right next to me:

S: "I don't know how to say this word, I am going to go ask Ms. Vermeer...(walks up to me) Me: "Are you bleeding?" (S instantly turns around to go sit in his group)... ugh she won't let us talk to her..."
C: "Quick let me hurt you so you bleed and we can go up there!"



#2 ME: "M, what are you doing?" M: (stops, and guilty starts to hand me the sock) Me: "Sick, I will not touch the germ infested sock. You may now stand on the fence for putting a dirty sock in girls faces."


Today two other first grade teachers and myself decided to put our foot down with recess rules after recent fighting and injuries. We told our students that they needed to start using their heads when they are outside and cannot just go crazy. 2 hours later we are outside at recess and when I have a little girl run up yelling "Ms. Vermeer! M is shoving a dirty sock in our face!" Here is a perfect example of how some students do not use their brains when they are released outside to recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment