Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It has been a long time....

When it has been so long since I have writing out my thoughts it is hard to know where to begin. So today I begin with an apology. I have so many loved ones that have encouraged me to keep this updated because they care about me and my life, and I have put this blog at the back burner for far to long. For that, I ask for your forgiveness and patience :)

It is hard to believe I am almost done with the third quarter of my first year of teaching. It is crazy to sit and think back on ALL of the changes and growth that has occurred in my classroom. In week one, I had a classroom of first graders that spent most days in tears or in fights trying to push back against all of the new difficult things I was throwing at them. I personally had NO idea what I was doing, and lived on prayer, reflection, and a lot of hard work. Today, my classroom is nowhere near perfect, but you will find students who have gained confidence, work together, and are actually READING. Many times when I get frustrated I have to stop and tell myself... "Julie, remember how you had half of class of students who could not read a word or write a word? " Now I have a classroom of readers, who work together and coach each other so they can leave first grade completely ready to be second grade readers. No words can describe how proud I am of the 20 students God gave me for this first year of teaching.

Since Christmas, I have helped one student get a much needed and well deserved IEP (Individual Education Plan), created a student who could not write a word into an actual writer who can write sentence, and helped a class who were filled with anger into a team that supports and encourages each other.

Yes, I still have students who can hardly read a book. I have first graders who shed tears over writing a sentence, but it is the small victories that I hold tightly in my grasp each day. While many teachers I talk to struggle each day to get themselves to school and teach each day in a hard urban classroom, I thank God that each morning when I see my students' smiles I know without a doubt I can make it each day. I don't work these crazy hours and push my body to the max just for me, I do it all for them, and they constantly pour out their love to me for it. Today made it all extra special as I was rewarded teacher of the month at DTA. It was an exciting honor, and I accept this with humility as I push on to make sure my first graders reach our class goal and their personal goals. I could not have done with without these kids, they inspire me and push me every day.

So I leave you with some of my favorite quotes this week. As a first grade teacher I hear MANY of them each day, and it is my new GOAL to make sure to get on my blog more often to put a smile on your face with some of the crazy things my kids say!

J: "I was thinking this weekend Ms. Vermeer, I wish you were my teacher."
Me: "Well J I am your teacher...."
J: "Yes, I know. I mean like my kindergarden teacher."

R: (While counting on his hundreds grid) "Ms. Vermeer! This is one of my two favorite things! Cartoon network and the number 49."

No comments:

Post a Comment