Thursday, September 3, 2009

Rollercoaster

Teaching is a rollercoaster.  There are so many twists and turns and ups and downs.  

I am an emotional wreck at times.

This job is harder than I ever imagined.  I think that I had this big dream that it would be different for me.  That my students would actually listen and inspire to be anything they can be.  That my students would become driven to all achieve amazing things in my classroom, and we would blow all of their test scores out of the water. 

Instead, I have students that cry, throw fits, flip tables, and yell all because they don't want to do a simple worksheet.  For most of the students, they are upset because they cannot do it.  They don't get it.  They cannot write, they cannot read, they cannot count...... you name it, they struggle with it.  So how do I help them?  How do we get past the fits and tears to actual learning? 

I have found there is no magic pill.  No matter what I do, tomorrow I will not have 19 students silent in their seats all excited to do math problems or write for me.  That is asking the impossible though.  I have to realize that learning is a process.  Trust is a process.  There will be no learning in my classroom until my students trust me.  

SO, tomorrow I will greet my students at the door, and do my very best to continue building trust.  I will encourage my students and push my students with the hope that someday along the road this year a light bulb will click and each student will finally believe that he/she really can learn.  

Till then, I will pray that God gives me the patience and courage to walk into school each day and help my students slowly reach their dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment